How to Transfer a Land Deed to Children

Related Articles

People who own property may wish to transfer the land deed to their children for various reasons: moving to another state, entering a assisted living facility, purchasing another piece of property or moving out of the country. Transferring a property deed is known as relinquishing property interest or forfeiting the right to property ownership. This is a fairly simple, straightforward process and can be done in a matter of hours.

Purchase, copy or download a copy of a quitclaim deed. These can be found in office supply stores, in law libraries or on various Internet sites such as Public Legal Forms.

Complete the quitclaim deed by identifying the property's address, legal description, the name of the "grantor(s)" or person(s) transferring the property and the name of the "Grantee(s)" or person(s) who is taking possession of the property. Identify the county and state, as well as the amount of money exchanged during the transfer, if applicable.

Take the quitclaim deed to a notary public. Most banks have a notary public on staff or you can find one by looking in a phone book. Have both the grantor(s) and grantee(s) sign the quitclaim deed in the presence of the notary, then have the notary apply the seal.

Make two copies of the quitclaim deed, one for the grantor(s) and one for the grantee(s). Take the original to the county recorder's or the county assessor's office. Tell the clerk you wish to record a quitclaim deed. Give the original to the registrar and pay the fling fee. The land deed has now been transferred.



About the Author

Owen Richason grew up working in his family's small contracting business. He later became an outplacement consultant, then a retail business consultant. Richason is a former personal finance and business writer for "Tampa Bay Business and Financier." He now writes for various publications, websites and blogs.