How to Check the Child Abuse Registry

••• Hand on Mouse - Using the Computer image by evillager from

Child abuse registries are kept on a state-to-state basis. They're lists of local registered child abuse offenders. There is also a national registry, known as The National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System. Start with your state child abuse registry before contacting the national registry when you're requesting a check.

Who Can Check the Registry?

In general, the only individuals who are allowed access to the information in the Child Abuse Registry are "physicians, researchers, police, judges and other court personnel, the person who is the subject of a report, a person who was an alleged child victim and the parent, guardian, or guardian ad litem of an alleged victim who is a minor," according to the National Administration for Children and Families,

Locate Your State's Registry

You can find a listing of all the available child abuse registries by visiting the website of the National Resource Center for Permanency and Family Connections.

Contact the Registry

Contact your state's child abuse registry and ask for a request form. Many states have a Department of Child/Social Services website with child abuse registry request forms that you can download. Fill out the request form completely with all requested information. Many states also require the witnessed signature of the person who is being checked.

Submit the request form and any additional required documents to the provided address. The request form should include the correct address and office.

Wait for a Response

Expect to wait a minimum of one business week before receiving the results of your child abuse registry request for information. If your request is time-sensitive, such as for an employment or volunteer position, contact the Department of Child/Social Services to get an estimated turnaround time so you can plan accordingly.



About the Author

Marysia Walcerz has been writing since 2008. She has been published in several compilations of artistic and philosophical work, including "Gender: Theory in Practice" and "Retold Comics." Walcerz has a Bachelor of Arts in fine arts and philosophy from The Evergreen State College.

Photo Credits

  • Hand on Mouse - Using the Computer image by evillager from