How to Release a Judgment

••• money and credit cards image by Gary from

There are many reasons why you may have a civil judgment against you. Maybe you had a credit card that went into collections and needed to pay off a judgment for a predetermined amount. Or perhaps you were sued for a monetary payment, and need to satisfy that debt before you can have a judgment released. No matter the reason, you will want to have a judgment released to have it off of your public/financial records and credit report.

Satisfy the civil judgment debt. If you were ordered to pay a certain amount to satisfy your judgment, you need to do just that to complete payment of the judgment and be able to get it released.

Request a letter or document from the creditor you finished paying stating that you have satisfied and paid the full amount of the judgment. Depending on your state, this may be called a Warrant of Satisfaction or a Civil Judgment Release.

File this paperwork with the office in which the original judgment and lien was placed. This will be with the courthouse in which your judgment was ordered. Depending on your situation, you can either take this to the office or mail it in to the lien office.


  • Check your credit report about 60 days after the Warrant of Satisfaction or Civil Judgment Release was filed with the county office to make sure that it was properly applied to your credit reports.



About the Author

Sara Haley has been writing professionally since 1998, writing articles for companies such as "Planned Parenthood." During her senior year in high school, she wrote for "The Papillion Times," "The Gretna Breeze," and other local newspapers. She also writes for her own sites, Omaha Moms and Happy Apping, andstudied in English and journalism at Metropolitan Community College.

Photo Credits

  • money and credit cards image by Gary from