Legal Documents to Leave With Your Child When Going on Vacation

••• Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Consent to Medical Treatment

A consent-to-medical-treatment form should be given to the child's caregiver before leaving. The form usually states the dates that you will be away, the name of the child or children, the name of the caregiver and what medical treatment she may consent to in your absence. Have the document notarized.

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney allows the person giving the powers to grant the agent -- the person to whom you give the powers -- general or specific authority to act on your behalf for legal transactions. For example, you may give the caregiver the specific power to write checks if necessary or to sign legal forms for school.


No one wants to think about the possibility of not returning from a vacation; however, tragedies do happen. You should execute a will prior to departing on vacation not only to determine what will happen to your assets but also to indicate whom you wish to be the guardian for your child in the event of your death.


About the Author

Renee Booker has been writing professionally since 2009 and was a practicing attorney for almost 10 years. She has had work published on Gadling, AOL's travel site. Booker holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from Ohio State University and a Juris Doctorate from Indiana University School of Law.

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images