Forms to Stop Divorce Proceedings

••• marriage defined image by Christopher Walker from

Related Articles

Request for dismissal forms are what is commonly used to stop divorce proceedings. Almost every state has some form of dismissal forms for divorce cases, although they are not all called "request for dismissal forms." They could be called "motion to dismiss" forms. Each state has its own divorce laws. After the dismissal motion is filed, it varies as to how long it will take to pass and what the courts require.


The person who filed for divorce or the person who received the divorce papers can fill out the request for dismissal form. However, if judgments have already been made in the divorce, the forms will not stop the divorce proceedings. If the divorce is stopped and then filed for again, divorce fees will have to be paid and the process will have to be started all over.


The forms are very easy to follow and explanatory. They are similar to other legal forms found at county courthouses or online. You will fill out your name and the name of your spouse, address, phone number and reasons for wanting a dismissal. If you filed for divorce and your spouse responded to it before the dismissal forms were received, both you and your spouse will have to sign the dismissal forms. The forms are then turned in to the clerk of courts at the county courthouse.

After Filing

Once the forms are filed with the clerk of courts, they will be processed by the courts. The divorce proceedings are then stopped, and any temporary orders placed on you or your spouse are lifted.


About the Author

Lana Bradstream began her journalism career in 2000. She has worked at the "Mobridge Tribune," the "Custer County Chronicle," "Rapid City Weekly News" and the "Box Elder Horizon," with regular beats of government, crime, agriculture, entertainment and feature stories. Bradstream studied journalism at the University of South Dakota.

Photo Credits

  • marriage defined image by Christopher Walker from