How to Check Police Records for Free in the State of Ohio

••• Doug Berry/Photodisc/Getty Images

Looking up a criminal record on someone can be easy or difficult depending on the state. In the state of Ohio, several options are available at no cost and without making you wait several days. If you know the county, city, name or date of birth of the subject, most records can be obtained easily.

Navigate to the Ohio Department of Corrections website. This is always the best place to start, because most of the time they provide a variety of updated police records. Use the name or date of birth of the subject if you know it.

Click on "Offender Search" or "Offender Intake" to search through the listings available. The site will say when it was last updated as well as what search inputs to use to narrow down the search fields to find the correct records. Use this site to look up any registered sex offenders in the area where you live as well as recent arrest records.

Narrow the search down by facility or county. If you know the county where the police record exists, look up its sheriff's office website. Many of those have listings of county or city jails and who is currently booked or previously booked there, and on what charges. Enter the jail or prison the person is or was held in. You can also use the Department of Corrections website to look up that facility.

Use the Correctional Institutions Map to find what institutions have websites and search there. Most institutions now have an inmate information search that provides the full record for current and previous inmates.

Call or write to the County or Circuit Clerk, District, or Appellate Courts if all other options fail. They can provide the location of the record and you can request that a copy be sent to you.

Check the Ohio Offender Information Database. This will search for any offenders and will include their convictions, dates, times and locations. It will also provide the offender number, which can be used at various other sources of the corrections department to find additional information.


  • Use specifics. A lot of people have similar names, so using a middle initial or date of birth can provide better results.


About the Author

Rachel Towns specializes in topics related to politics and law. She holds a Bachelor of Science in paralegal studies from the University of South Florida.

Photo Credits

  • Doug Berry/Photodisc/Getty Images