Places to Get the TWIC ID Card

••• port image by Pavel Vlasov from

Related Articles

Maritime workers who need unrestricted access to all areas of a port or ship need a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). A TWIC, according to the Transportation Security Agency, gives you easy access to secure areas of port facilities, outer continental shelf facilities, all U.S. Coast Guard credentialed merchant mariners and vessels regulated under the Maritime Transportation Security Act.

Security Measure

The TWIC program provides uninterrupted access to secure areas involved with the maritime industry, according to the Transportation Safety Administration Program. The TSA states that the program goals are to: identify authorized people who need access to secure areas of the maritime transportation system; determine someone's access eligibility in secure areas; enhance security and deny access to anyone who's unauthorized; and to identify people who don't maintain their eligibility qualifications after being permitted access and revoke his permissions.

Obtaining A TWIC

There are 162 enrollment centers for obtaining TWIC. The easiest way to locate the center nearest you is at This site has every enrollment center's name, address, phone number and hours of operation. You can conduct a search by port name or by state name.

Required Documents

A passport is just one of the documents you can use to establish identity for TWIC.
••• american & russian documents image by Galina Barskaya from

Requirements are different for U.S. citizens and documented aliens. A list of acceptable identity documents is available at Immigrants must bring additional documents, depending on the country of origin, to the enrollment site. Go to to determine needed items.


About the Author

Alan Edwards began writing in 2005. He is a retired pharmaceutical industry analyst, a career that allowed him to hone his research and writing skills. Edwards holds a Master of Business Administration in health care from Xavier University in Cincinnati and a Bachelor of Arts in economics from the University of Pittsburgh. Now, he writes full-time.

Photo Credits