How to File a Family Law Habeas Corpus Petition

••• gavel image by Cora Reed from

Check with your local court or a local family law attorney to determine which court has jurisdiction to hear your writ of habeas corpus. In New York, for example, the Supreme Court has jurisdiction to hear the writ; in Georgia, the Superior Court has jurisdiction to hear the case.

Write the case caption at the top of the writ. Write the name of the court, the county and the state where you are filing the action. Write your name as "Petitioner" and write "v. [Person wrongfully detaining child]" as the "Respondent."

Title the document "Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus." Center the title and write it beneath the case caption.

State the grounds for the motion. Explain who you are, who has your child and that your child is being wrongfully detained. Ask the court to issue a writ of habeas corpus to force the child to come before the court so that the custody issue can be resolved.

Send a copy of the document to the court clerk in the court with proper jurisdiction. Include information about where the respondent is so that the court can serve the person with a copy of the document.



About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.

Photo Credits