How to Get a Copy of a Filed Marriage Settlement Agreement

••• paperwork image by Pix by Marti from

Related Articles

Marriage settlement agreements contain information about how to invest your money, dispose of your property, pay income taxes, apply for a loan, or formulate a retirement plan. If you have children, your marriage settlement agreement will also outline you and your spouse's custody and visitation arrangement, explains Expert Law. If you need a copy of your filed marriage settlement agreement, go to the court directly to request the document. This will ensure that you receive the most up-to-date copy of the agreement.

Locate your case number. So that the court can locate your marriage settlement agreement, attempt to locate your case number. You can find it at the top of any official documents you've received from the court.

Know the case name. In most circumstances, this will be your full name and your spouse's name.

Read More: What Is a Breach of Settlement?

Contact the Clerk of the Court. Although the process may vary between jurisdictions, in most instances, you will need to request the settlement agreement through the office of the Clerk of the Court. You may do this in person or by sending a written request along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Show proof of your identity. The Court Clerk may request that you show a copy of your driver's license, state-issued ID card or passport to establish that you are a party to the case and entitled to receive a copy of the marriage settlement agreement.

Contact an attorney who worked on the case. If the court cannot locate your marriage settlement agreement or if you are unsure in which court your attorney or spouse filed it, your lawyer should have a copy in her file.


  • Each court establishes its own rules regarding document requests. The exact process may be different in your state.


  • If you used a divorce mediator, she will also have a copy of your finalized agreement.


About the Author

Anna Green has been published in the "Journal of Counselor Education and Supervision" and has been featured regularly in "Counseling News and Notes," Keys Weekly newspapers, "Travel Host Magazine" and "Travel South." After earning degrees in political science and English, she attended law school, then earned her master's of science in mental health counseling. She is the founder of a nonprofit mental health group and personal coaching service.

Photo Credits