How to Obtain Certified Copies of Divorce Papers in Kentucky

••• Kentucky state contour against blurred USA flag image by Stasys Eidiejus from

Related Articles

Like marriage certificates, divorce records are considered public records because they are generated via the public court system. This means that anyone can acquire certified copies of divorce papers assuming you have the patience and money to conduct a thorough search. In Kentucky, requests for such records are made through the state's Cabinet for Health and Family Services Department.

Download a copy of the Kentucky divorce certificate request application form, from the state's Cabinet for Health and Family Services' website (see link in the Reference section below). Alternatively, a form request can be made via phone (800-241-8322).

Read More: How to Get Copies of Divorce Records

Fill out the application form. Include as much of the requested information as possible. This includes the full names of the husband and wife, the date of the marriage (including the day, month and year) and the county where the divorce was issued.

Write a check to cover the cost of the request, which is $6 per certified copy (as of March 2010). The check should be made payable to the "Kentucky State Treasurer."

Mail the application and check to:

Office of Vital Statistics 275 E. Main St. 1E-A Frankfort, KY 40621


  • It can take up to 30 days to receive a certified copy of divorce papers.


  • The more information you have regarding the divorce, the more likely you will be able to obtain a certified copy of the divorce document.


About the Author

For three years, Etch Tabor worked as the technology and online editor at "InsideCounsel" magazine, a national publication for in-house counsel. He currently is a full-time freelance writer, specializing in legal, technology and comedy writing. He graduated in 2004 from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a degree in journalism.

Photo Credits

  • Kentucky state contour against blurred USA flag image by Stasys Eidiejus from