How to Find Child Support Cases

Child support is usually decided in divorce court. If the parents weren't married, then it is handled in civil court. A judge uses income guidelines to establish a fair amount to be paid to the custodial parent. He issues an order and the noncustodial parent complies by paying the ordered amount by the due date. These cases are a matter of public record and you can access the paperwork if you need to.

Search for your case on your county's clerk of court website. These websites usually allow you to look up civil and criminal court cases. If you don't have a case number, do a name search. When you find your case, write down the case number.

Call your local child support enforcement office. They will have your case on file and will also be able to tell you about any arrears or modifications to your case.

Access your state's government website. Find the phone number for the disbursement center that collects payments from the noncustodial parent and forwards the funds to the custodial parent.

Call your state's disbursement unit. Ask for case information and inquire as to any recent activity on your account.

Visit your local courthouse. Go to the clerk of court's office and ask for a copy of your support order. They may charge a nominal copy fee.


About the Author

Jennifer Gibbons is a freelance writer in Florida. She has been writing professionally since 2001 and her work has appeared in magazines such as "Senior Living" and "Mature Lifestyles." She is working on a Bachelor of Arts at State College of Florida with a major in mass communications. Gibbons is also a professional photographer and an accomplished portrait artist.