How to Get Unemployment while going to School

By Contributor

In many states, a dislocated worker is eligible to keep receiving unemployment insurance while attending college. This is the government's way of trying to build a skilled and updated workforce. If you believe that your lack of a degree is a limiting factor in returning to work, consider pursuing an Associate's degree or other certificate to boost your resume.

Look up your state's unemployment website. This is where you can find the printable application, as well as details about the process and who to contact with questions.

Apply to a training program. You must have a training program in mind in order to be eligible for training benefits.

Print and fill out a training benefits application packet.

Mail the application to the agency involved in unemployment benefit payment in your state. It's important to do this soon after you have been laid off and picked a training program.

Wait for an approval.

About the Author

This article was written by the CareerTrend team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about CareerTrend, contact us [here](

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article