How to Obtain Full Custody in Colorado

By Mike Broemmel
Obtain full custody of your child.

Sevenbates: Everystockphoto.com

Colorado law provides for three different types of child custody: joint, shared and sole or full. Joint custody is the preferred plan and is what the court will order unless there is a significant reason to impose another type of arrangement. Seeking sole or full custody of a minor child requires a demonstration that such a reason exists to deny the other parent any custodial rights.

Obtain a home study of your residence if the child isn't living with you. The study must be done by a person certified by the state of Colorado. He or she will evaluate the living environment and whether it is suitable for the child.

Prepare and file a motion with the court requesting that you be granted sole or full custody of your child. If the child doesn't live with you, attach a copy of the home study.

Include in the motion the specific reasons why sole or full custody is appropriate in your case. Under Colorado law, these reasons can include the other parent being unable to maintain a lifestyle conducive to healthy and appropriate parenting; the minor child facing the prospect of abuse or neglect; the other parent lacking the capacity to make reasonable and responsible decisions for the child; or the other parent being otherwise unavailable.

Request an order of the court directing a home study of the other parent's residence, regardless of whether the child lives there.

Gather additional evidence to support your request for sole or full custody. This can include school records, police records, photographs and witness affidavits.

Schedule a court hearing to present your evidence. The other parent will have the opportunity to respond, and the judge will make a decision.

About the Author

Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article