How to Expunge an Old Record

••• Creatas Images/Creatas/Getty Images

Investigate state rules on expungement. Each state's rules vary depending regarding eligibility requirements. For instance, eligibility requirements in a state may depend on the crime committed or the length of time the arrest or conviction has passed.

Write a motion or petition for expungement. In the motion, request the court remove the arrest or conviction and explain why you want it removed. For instance, you want to include the reason you desire the expungement such as to attend school or avail yourself of better employment opportunities

Submit the motion or petition for expungement with the county's clerk of courts. You may have to pay a filing fee.

Go to the court hearing. During a court hearing, a judge decides whether or not to expunge the old criminal record. The judge may ask you questions about the conviction and your criminal history.


About the Author

Demetrius Sewell is an experienced journalist who, since 2008, has been a contributing writer to such websites as Internet Brands and print publications such as "Cinci Pulse." Sewell specializes in writing news and feature articles on health, law and finance. She has a master's degree in English.

Photo Credits

  • Creatas Images/Creatas/Getty Images