How to Appeal a Temporary Order of Child Custody

By Mike Broemmel - Updated June 13, 2017

children in winter image by Marzanna Syncerz from Fotolia.com

During the initial phase of a divorce case involving children, the court issues a temporary child custody order, according to "The Complete Divorce Handbook: A Practical Guide" by Brette McWhorter Sember. If the judge granted your spouse temporary custody of your children, you may wonder what recourse is available to you. Many people erroneously believe that they can appeal a temporary custody order to a higher state court. In fact, that is not the case. Because a temporary restraining is not a final order of the court, the only course you can take is to appeal to the trial judge in your case to reconsider the ruling, according to Sember.

About the Author

Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article