Can a Divorce Be Stopped in Florida If the Papers Have Been Filed?

••• Getty Images/Digital Vision/Getty Images

Related Articles

In Florida, a divorce is known as a dissolution of marriage. So long as the dissolution decree has not yet been issued in your case -- which finalizes the divorce and makes it official -- you and your spouse can stop the dissolution of your marriage at any time.

File a Motion to Postpone or Dismiss Your Dissolution

The manner in which you can stop your dissolution proceedings depends upon your reasons for doing so. If, after filing for dissolution, you decide you want to give reconciliation a try, you can file a Motion to Abate with the court. This will place the proceedings on hold for a short time. For example, in Palm Beach County, this gives the parties 60 to 90 days to reconcile. After this period, if you wish for the divorce to continue, you only need to file a Motion to Continue with the court and the proceedings will resume. On the other hand, if you and your spouse know that you no longer want to get divorced, you would instead file a Motion to Voluntarily Dismiss the Dissolution Proceedings. This effectively closes the case. However, if your spouse filed a counterpetition in response to your dissolution petition, you both must file the voluntary dismissal request to close the case.


About the Author

Based on the West Coast, Mary Jane Freeman has been writing professionally since 1994, specializing in the topics of business and law. Freeman's work has appeared in a variety of publications, including LegalZoom, Essence, Reuters and Chicago Sun-Times. Freeman holds a Master of Science in public policy and management and Juris Doctor. Freeman is self-employed and works as a policy analyst and legal consultant.

Photo Credits

  • Getty Images/Digital Vision/Getty Images