How to Change Your Name After You Remarry

••• Hemera Technologies/ Images

Related Articles

The process to change your name after you remarry is the same after the second wedding as it was following the first. In all states, a woman has the right to change her name to take her husband's surname when she marries. However, only a few states offer the same right to a man when he marries and wants to take the surname of his wife or hyphenate his name. In most cases, a man will have to get a court order to legally change his name. If you're a woman, all you need is a certified copy of your marriage certificate to begin the process of changing your name.

Obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate with a raised seal. If you did not receive one in the mail after your wedding, contact the clerk of court's office in the county where it was filed.

Read More: How to Change an Address on a License

Contact the Social Security office to begin the process of formally changing your name. Request the form entitled, "Application for a Social Security Card." Complete the form using your new name. There is also a space for your birth name and any other names you have used.

Mail or take your competed application to the Social Security office with a certified copy of your marriage license. There is no charge for a new card. You will receive your new Social Security card in the mail in about 10 days from the date it is received.

Take your new Social Security card and another state-recognized form of ID, such as a valid driver's license, to the Department of Motor Vehicles and apply for a name change on your driver's license. Fees and procedures required to change your name on your driver's license vary from state to state.

Present your new Social Security card or driver's license to your place of employment and make sure any retirement accounts or insurance policies are updated.

Contact your bank and order new checks. Notify all other financial institutions where you have accounts and all of your creditors. Fill out any necessary forms and supply the appropriate documentation as requested. Obtain a copy of your credit report to make sure you have notified all creditors.

Contact government agencies with which you do business, such as the IRS and the passport office, to inform them of your name change. Fill out the appropriate forms and supply the requested documentation.

Compile a list of other organizations with which you do business, such as doctors, hospitals, schools, professional organizations, insurance companies and attorneys. Contact each of these entities and tell then you have a new name. Fill out any requested forms and supply the requested documentation.



About the Author

Valerie Stevens is a professional writer and editor based in the Carolinas. She was an editor at daily newspapers for 20 years and now works as a paralegal. She has edited several books and her work has been published in The Knoxville News-Sentinel, The Springfield Daily News, The Georgetown Times and Natural Awakenings magazine. Stevens holds degrees in journalism and paralegal studies.

Photo Credits

  • Hemera Technologies/ Images