How to Sue for Parental Alienation in the State of Ohio

By Rob Kemmett

Parental alienation is the act of a parent, relative or friend speaking badly to a child about one of his or her parents in an effort to sabotage the parent-child relationship. In the case of a divorce, for example, if the mother tells the child lies about the father in order to make him appear untrustworthy, it is considered parental alienation. In the state of Ohio, parental alienation is recognized, meaning that action can be taken against anyone who engages in it. If you are a victim of parental alienation in Ohio, contact a state bar certified lawyer that specializes in family law.

Contact a lawyer specializing in divorce and family law. Divorce and family law are both specific practices geared toward handling cases involving family matters, including parental alienation. It is a good idea to talk with multiple lawyers as each lawyer has different qualifications, win-loss records and contacts within the court system.

Set up an appointment to discuss the alienation case. Provide the lawyer with as much detail as possible, including specific phrases used by the parent in question to alienate the child, dates of any incidents where the child showed early signs of parental alienation and the names of all parties involved.

Listen to the lawyer’s advice and discuss the fees associated with the case. Ask the lawyer to lay out a plan for the case and inquire about his or her track record.

Hire a lawyer by choosing the person with whom you feel the most comfortable. The lawyer's fees should also fit in your price range as well.

Set up a follow-up appointment with your lawyer in order to discuss the case in more detail. Provide the lawyer with the names of any witnesses who have seen the accused parent attempt to alienate the child away from you. Tell the witnesses to create written statements which might be used as evidence during court proceedings.

File a lawsuit against the accused party for parental alienation. Your lawyer will provide you with all necessary paperwork and file it once completed. Await the court to hear your case. The court will contact your lawyer, who will inform you of any court dates in which you must appear.

Show up to court. The court examines the parents’ ability to cooperate with one another to make decisions in the best interests of the child. The history of the parents’ (or legal guardians’) support and consistency with the child is also reviewed. In the state of Ohio, the court often orders counseling if it is deemed that parental alienation is taking place.

About the Author

Rob Kemmett began writing professionally in 2010 and specializes in writing about food and hospitality. Kemmett has worked in various fine-dining restaurants throughout his career and holds an Associate of Applied Science in Le Cordon Bleu culinary arts from the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago.