How to Report an Expired Visa

By Wilkie Collins
Visas should be renewed prior to expiration to avoid arrest.

Jupiterimages/ Images

U.S. visas permit residents of other countries to live and work in this country for a specific period of time. The duration of visas can vary depending on the type of visit or employment undertaken. Remaining in the United States once your visa has expired is a serious offense and can result in deportation or imprisonment.

Go to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website ( Click on the "About ICE" link at the top of the page and select "ICE Homeland Security Investigations" from the drop-down menu.

Select the "Special Agent in Charge Field Offices" option from the list of options that appear on the next page. Clicking this option will bring up a hyperlink to a map of the 26 Special Agent in Charge (SAC) offices located around the United States.

Click on the red dot on the U.S. map that's closest to where you live. Not all states have an SAC office. For states that aren't covered, the SAC closest to your location will be able to investigate your complaint.

Contact the SAC office closest to you. Details of your nearest office, including telephone number, fax number and correspondence address should appear once you click on a red dot.

Report the person who you believe is living in the United States with an expired visa. You can give this information over the phone or detail it in a letter. Provide as much information as possible including the full name and address of the person and where they work.

Leave your own contact details with the SAC office. They may need to contact you again to confirm the accuracy of the information you have given.

About the Author

Wilkie Collins started writing professionally in 2007. She has submitted work for organizations including Venue, an arts-and-culture website for Bristol and Bath (U.K.), and "Sound and Vision," a technology magazine. Collins holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and media studies from the University of Bristol.