How to Obtain the Birth Record of a US Citizen Born on a Military Base Abroad

By Mandi Titus ; Updated April 14, 2017
BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images

Children born on an overseas military base do not receive a state-issued birth certificate, as children who are born in the United States do. Instead, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued for the child at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. These records are maintained by the U.S. Department of State and must be requested through the department. Only the child listed on the certificate, the child's parents or legal guardians, authorized government agencies or those with written permission are allowed to request a certificate.

Prepare a statement requesting the birth record. There is no specific form to complete when requesting your Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Include the child's full name at birth, the date and location of the birth and the names of the parents. If available, passport information for the child, the report's serial number and any adoptive names the child has had should be included. Legal guardians requesting a certificate must also include proof of guardianship through a copy of the court order.

Sign your letter in the presence of a notary. The U.S. State Department requires that all requests for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad be signed and notarized.

Prepare your application to be mailed. Make a copy of your identification, such as a driver's license or passport, to accompany the letter. Write a check or obtain a money order to cover the processing fees, as listed on the U.S. State Department website (

Mail your packet to the Vital Records Section of the State Department's Passport Services office. Once you application has been processed, your Consular Report of Birth Abroad will be mailed to you. You may call the State Department to track the progress of your request. The address and phone number for the Vital Records Section are listed on the State Department website.

About the Author

Based in Florida, Mandi Titus has been writing since 2002. Her articles have been published on sites such as Goodkin, Go Green Street and Living the Healthy Way. She holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology from Stetson University.