How to Register for a Photo Identity Card Through the Post Office

By Michael Roennevig
You can apply for a passport card at USPS post offices.

store sign image by Wolfgang Zintl from

If you hold U.S. citizenship, you can apply for a passport card through the United States Postal Service. A passport card is issued by the U.S. State Department and allows the holder to travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without the need to present a full passport book to customs officers. It also also serves as a government-issued proof of identity and citizenship photo ID card.

Visit your local Post Office and request a DS-82 form if you have a passport book. If you have never held a U.S. passport book, or do not meet the requirements to apply using a DS-82 form (see Resources), you'll need to ask for a DS-11 form.

Complete the form in full making sure that you tick the check box next to the passport card option at the top. Make sure that the form is completed accurately and that you have signed and dated it at the bottom. Any mistakes could result in your application being delayed.

Present your application form along with your passport book if you have one and your two passport photos. If are using a DS-11 form, you'll need to submit proof of U.S. residence. This can be in the form of a birth certificate, a naturalization certificate or a certificate of citizenship.

Pay for your passport card using cash, a credit or debit card, postal order or a check. The amount you pay will depend on your age and status (see Resources.) Your passport card will be mailed to you when your application has been processed.

About the Author

Michael Roennevig has been a journalist since 2003. He has written on politics, the arts, travel and society for publications such as "The Big Issue" and "Which?" Roennevig holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from the Surrey Institute and a postgraduate diploma from the National Council for the Training of Journalists at City College, Brighton.