How to Find Out Who Is Using My SSN?

By Julia Drake
Contact government officials to attempt to locate a Social Security identity thief.
Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

A Social Security number (SSN) is a number that allows citizens in the United States to obtain work, receive government services and pay taxes. Social Security numbers are nine digits long and are different for each individual. If someone is using your number, then you may be a victim of identity theft. It is a federal crime to use another person's Social Security number. If you suspect someone is using your number, you can contact government officials to try and locate the perpetrator.

Determine if someone is using your SSN for work-related purposes by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and asking it to send you a Social Security Statement form that details your earnings and taxes. Call the SSA toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the SSA website to request the form.

Check your Social Security Statement once you receive it in the mail from the SSA for any earnings listed that are not your own. If unusual earnings appear on your statement, this indicates someone is working under your SSN.

Contact again the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and inform it about any suspicious earnings on your Social Security Statement. The SSA will review your statement with its system that verifies the accuracy of a person's name and SSN.

Ask the SSA to remove the unaccounted for earnings from your record and to locate the person using your SSN. Now that they know your SSN has been stolen, the SSA can try and locate the perpetrator. The SSA may be able to locate the workplace, state or city in which the person is working in under your SSN.

Contact the local police to file a report if someone has been using your SSN for credit purposes. If you are receiving calls from unknown creditors trying to collect money from you, or if you are being turned down for credit, someone may have stolen your SSN. Enlist the police to help you track down the person using your SSN.

File an identity theft complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) if someone has stolen your SSN for credit purposes. Law enforcement officials will use the information you provide the FTC to try and locate the person who stole your SSN. Contact the FTC at 1-877-438-4338 or visit their website to file a complaint.

About the Author

Julia Drake has been writing since 2007 when she had her first article published in “The Beltane Papers.” She received her Bachelor of Arts in women studies from the University of Washington. She recently completed her Master of Arts in women’s spirituality at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology.