How to Find Someone in a Military Jail

By Eva Talent
Military correctional facilities are located in several states, Europe, Asia and on ships at sea.

Darrin Klimek/Digital Vision/Getty Images

Of the service members convicted of crimes worthy of placement in a military correctional facility, one in six is stripped of the honor to serve and discharged. Current and former service members may be incarcerated in military correctional facilities for a variety of reasons. Crimes in the military are defined by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, a federal law enacted by Congress.

Visit, the official website of the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Click "Inmate Locator," immediately below the BoP logo on the top left corner of the page.

Enter the inmate's identification number in the pink box if you know it. If you do not know the inmate's identification number, enter his first name in the uppermost field of the blue box. Fill out all fields in the blue box to the best of your ability. The inmate's middle name, race, sex and age are not mandatory. However, several results may appear when some fields are left blank.

Click the"Search" button.

Scroll through results to determine which inmate is the one you seek. The location of an inmate is highlighted after his name, register number, age, race, sex and release date. Each of these locations is a clickable link that provides information about the facility and contact information for prison administrators, inmates and staff.

About the Author

A professional writer since 1994, Eva Talent was trained as a journalist by the U.S. Army. She received two Army Commendation Medals and an Army Achievement Medal for journalistic excellence. Her press releases are frequently featured on the websites of the Department of Defense and the Army. Talent holds a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from the University of Michigan.