How to File a Police Harassment Report

By Robert Ceville ; Updated June 14, 2017
Caution Tape With Police Officer And Car

When you have been the victim of harassment, you should not take the situation lightly. The best thing to do is file a harassment report with a police officer. The officer will require actual proof that you are being harassed by the individual, so gather all the information you can, such as emails, texts, or phone records.

Gather the information that shows that you have been a victim of recent harassment. Print out any emails that show this kind of activity and contact your cell phone provider for a hard copy of incoming calls and texts. Ask any witnesses to this behavior to prepare to give their accounts to the officer. Collect as much information about the individual(s) who are harassing you, such as name(s), license plate number(s), and address.

Contact your local police or sheriff's department. If you feel the matter is an emergency, call 911.

Police officer talking on a radio.

Ask the dispatcher to send an officer to your home or place of business to file the harassment report. The dispatcher will most likely ask you a series of general questions to verify the validity of the claim. Tell him or her you have collected evidence justifying your claim.

Provide the officer with all documentation pertaining to your harassment claim. Have the witnesses, if any, give their accounts of the experience for the report. In order to file the harassment claim, your report must have proof. The officer will take down the information you provide and notify you of any additional steps you may need to take to further investigate the claim.

About the Author

Based in Florida, Robert Ceville has been writing electronics-based articles since 2009. He has experience as a professional electronic instrument technician and writes primarily online, focusing on topics in electronics, sound design and herbal alternatives to modern medicine. He is pursuing an Associate of Science in information technology from Florida State College of Jacksonville.