How to Find Out If I Have Judicial Liens

By August Jackson
You can find out if you have liens on your property by checking public records.
property image by Christopher Hall from

For a person to have a judicial lien against his property, a court would have to have issued a monetary judgment against the person. Usually, when a person has had a judgment issued against him, he knows about it. Sometimes, that is not the case. If a person has a lawsuit filed against him and does not answer or show up in court, the court can issue a default judgment against that person. A person can find out if any judicial liens have been filed against his property by checking public records.

Start with your credit report. Judgments are public records, and the credit reporting agencies routinely pick up public records to include on people's credit reports. If any judgments have been granted against you, you can find them on your credit report.

Pull your free annual credit report. A person can pull at least one credit report from all three credit reporting companies each year. If you have not pulled your free credit report yet, you should do so at this time. Go to The site will prompt you to enter some personal information. Once you have passed this step, you can pull up your credit report from Equifax, Experian and Transunion. Look at the section labeled "Judgments." If this section is empty, you have nothing to worry about. If, however, the section is not empty, you need to do some more digging.

Visit your county record, county clerk or county assessor's office. Ask for information on how to search your property records. You can search for your property using your name or by the type of record you are searching for, such as lien records. Depending on where you live, you may be able to search for property records online.

About the Author

August Jackson is a contributor to various websites. She has taken courses in copywriting and has worked in corporate America as a proofreader. Jackson holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Juris Doctor with an emphasis in bankruptcy law.