Canadian Tourist Visa Requirements

By Eric Som
Show CIC officers that you plan to leave Canada.
o' canada image by Kathryn Palmer from

The Canadian Temporary Resident visa allows you to enter the country for various temporary reasons, including, but not limited to, tourism. Issuance of a Temporary Resident visa is by no means a guarantee that an applicant will be able to enter Canada, as you must still demonstrate to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officers at the port of entry that you are entering Canada for a temporary purpose.

Photo Requirement

As is the case with most, if not all, visa applications, you must submit two passport-size photos with your Temporary Resident visa application. The photos must be identical. You can submit color or black and white photos. Canadian embassies require the photos to be taken within the six months prior to your application.

The frame size of the photos must be 35mm by 45mm and the background must be light-colored or plain white.

Application Fee

The application fee for a Temporary Resident visa varies depending on whether you are applying for a single-entry visa or a multiple-entry visa. As of July 2010, the fee for a single-entry visa was CAD $75 and it was CAD $150 for a multiple-entry visa. If you are applying as a family, the fee is CAD $400, irrespective of whether it is a single-entry or a multiple-entry visa.

Generally, you can pay the fee by check or money order. Nonetheless, each Canadian consular office reserves the right to choose a specific method of payment. Therefore, visit the home page of your local Canadian consular office for instructions on how to pay the visa fee.

Proof of Sufficient Funds

Proof of sufficient funds is an important requirement for the Temporary Resident visa. According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), “the amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.”

Therefore, as a rule of thumb, strive to provide bank statements showing that you have enough money to cover both your living expenses and your return ticket to your home country. In fact, most Canadian consular offices require applicants to submit a photocopy of their return ticket as part of the application process.


You must download and complete Form IMM 5257, application for a Temporary Resident visa. If you are applying together with your spouse and/or common-law partner, you must also complete Form IMM 5409, Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union.

Canadian consular offices also authorize visa applicants to designate another individual, commonly referred to as a “Representative,” to apply for a Temporary Resident visa on their behalf. If you are using a representative, complete Form IMM 5476, Use of a Representative.

About the Author

Eric Som has been writing professionally since 2002, contributing to various websites. He is certified through the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Som holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Bachelor of Laws from Handong Global University. He also has a Juris Doctor degree from an Ohio law school.