How to Get a Passport in the US When You Have a Green Card

By Jackie Whalen
Have passport, will travel.
Australian Passport image by dc_slim from

A valid U.S. passport is required when traveling internationally. U.S. citizens can apply for a passport book or a passport card. A passport book is valid for international travel by land, air or sea. A passport card is only valid when entering the U.S. from Bermuda, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean at land borders or through sea entry. The passport card is not valid for international air travel.

Become a U.S.citizen. You need to submit proof of U.S. citizenship in order to receive a U.S. passport. A green card allows you to work and live permanently in the U.S., but you still need to go through the Naturalization process in order to become a citizen.

Submit Form DS-211: Application for a U.S. Passport. You can submit the form online or print it out and take it to an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency in your area.

Submit evidence of U.S. citizenship. You must submit your birth certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with your DS-211 application.

Submit identification. When applying in person, you must submit a valid form of identification, such as a driver's license or military ID. If applying by mail, you must submit a photocopy of your ID with your application.

Pay passport fees. You will pay $100 for a passport book and $45 for a passport card. If mailing your application, make checks and money orders payable to Department of State. You may pay by check, money order, debit or credit cards at an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. Passport fees are non-refundable.

Submit two photos. You will need to submit two identical 2x2 color photos taken within the past six months. Photos must be full-face with a plain white or off-white background.

You will receive your passport in four to six weeks.