How to Apply for Temporary Disability in Florida

By George Lawrence J.D. ; Updated June 16, 2017
Young couple in wheelchair strolling in the park

Floridians who become injured to the point they can no longer perform any type of work may be eligible to receive temporary benefits for the duration of the disability or injury. These benefits can last up to two years and will cover two-thirds of your wages. While the disability benefits are provided by the Social Security Administration, Florida workers must be deemed eligible by the Florida Disability Division before receiving the benefits.

Receive a determination that you cannot work at all due to your injury. This determination must be made by Florida physician chosen by your employer – not your private physician.

Gather the information you need to fill out the Social Security Administration's disabilities application. Florida requires you to fill out the SSA application first. You need to compile the name of the treating physician, your patient ID number, the dates you went to the hospital, any medications you are taking and any other medical records. In addition, gather W-2 forms, your social security number and a copy of your birth certificate. Also draft a list of the types of jobs you had for the past 15 years prior to your injury.

Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the online application for disability benefits. A link has been provided in the resource section below. Answer each question on the form using the information you gathered in step 2. After you fill out this application, the SSA will deliver your materials to Florida's Division of Disability Determination.

Contact Florida's Disability Determination Office to check the status of your application. The number to reach this office is 850-488-4222.

About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.