Tourist Visa Requirements for Sweden

By Shewanda Pugh
map of sweden image by Goran Bogicevic from

Sweden is a small European country near Norway, Finland, the Gulf of Bothnia and the Baltic Sea. It is highly developed, stable and modern. As a European country, it is a party to the Schengen agreement, which allows citizens of some countries to visit for a limited period without a visa. Therefore, whether or not an individual needs a visa depends on their country citizenship, their length of stay and the purpose of their visit.

Entry Requirements

There are general requirements that apply to all travelers, regardless of nationality, wishing to enter Sweden. A valid, unexpired passport is the rule, as is a visa, depending on individual circumstances. Unlike some countries, there are no known HIV/AIDS restrictions in effect.


Any U.S. citizen wishing to travel to Sweden must have a valid, government-issued passport that will not expire for three months beyond the duration of their trip. Those who do not have a passport, or whose passport will expire, will need to submit an application for a new one at a valid passport acceptance facility. If the applicant has never held a passport before, he will be required to apply in person and submit proof of citizenship and a form of primary identification. Proof of citizenship can be substantiated with a government-issued birth certificate or certificate of naturalization. Proof of identification can be made with a government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license or military ID. Those who have had a passport before can renew through the mail. Expedited services are available for new and renewing applicants, and in the case of those traveling for immediate emergency purposes, assistance is available by way of the National Passport Information Center.

National Passport Information Center 1-877-4-USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793


U.S. citizens who intend to visit Sweden for a period of less than 90 days for tourist or business purposes may do so without need of a visa. Those intending to stay longer, of another nationality not party to the Schengen agreement or planning to visit for another purpose, such as becoming a full-time student, will need to apply and be approved for a visa. Those wishing to study for three months or longer must obtain a student residence permit, while those wishing to reside in Sweden for more than 90 days must apply for a residence permit. Requirements vary among the types of visas required for anyone wishing to conduct research, pursue education, work or live in Sweden. For example, an individual applying for a work permit must submit their employment application, passport, two passport photos, a letter offering employment and all applicable fees. For more information on this permit or another, contact your local Swedish embassy or consulate. The applications must be made in person, along with all supplemental documents and fees, to the nearest Swedish embassy.

About the Author

Shewanda Pugh attended Alabama A&M University, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in political science. She also holds a Master of Arts in writing from Nova Southeastern University. Pugh's work has been featured in several print publications, including the "Farquhar Forum," "Go!Riverwalk" and "Foreword Magazine."