Changing Your Address on an IRS Tax Return

By Joseph Nicholson
Change your address with Form 8822.

You tax return is not the place to change your address. But, it's important that the address on your return be correct. If it has recently changed, use the current address on your return. The best way to inform the Internal Revenue Service about your change of address is with the form specifically designed for that purpose, Form 8822. If you move after receiving the address labels for your tax return, you can correct the labels and use them for your filing.

Change of Address Form

Form 8822 is a simple document used to inform the IRS of a change in your address. It can be filled out and submitted at anytime. The instructions to the form, located on page two, provide the address to which the form should be submitted depending on your location. Form 8822 can be used by both individuals and businesses, as well as the estate of a decedent.

Write a Letter

Another way to inform the IRS of a change of address is to simply write a letter. This letter must contain your name and Social Security number, as well as your old and new addresses. If your last filing was a joint married return, the letter should include the names and signatures of both spouses. The letter should be mailed to the same processing center to which your previous return was sent.

Notify the Post Office

In most cases, notifying the IRS in particular of an address change might not be necessary. The IRS uses address information obtained by the Post Office. This means that if you've changed your address with the Post Office, the IRS will likely have your new address on file. It's important to forward your mail from your previous address if you are expecting a check or other contact from the IRS, as not all Post Offices will automatically forward government mail, and it might take some time before the IRS updates its information.

About the Author

Joseph Nicholson is an independent analyst whose publishing achievements include a cover feature for "Futures Magazine" and a recurring column in the monthly newsletter of a private mint. He received a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Florida and is currently attending law school in San Francisco.