How to File a Quit Claim in Georgia

By Contributing Writer
File a Quit Claim in Georgia
Image courtesy of

File a Quit Claim Deed, also known as a Quit Claim, to transfer ownership of a property in the state of Georgia. With a Quit Claim, the seller's ownership interest is transferred to the buyer. It is not necessary for a Quit Claim to be filed for it to be legal, but doing so provides the seller with protection that he might not otherwise have. File a Quit Claim yourself to avoid paying a legal professional to do it. The local governments in the state are set up to accommodate this type of do-it-yourself filing.

Obtain a blank deed from your city or county Clerk of the Court. It is best to use this form because you can be assured that the form template has already been approved for you to use when you file a Quit Claim in Georgia.

Request a current copy of the subject property's legal deed of record. This will be necessary as you complete the Property Description on the Quit Claim.

Type the Quit Claim. Have the signature of the Grantor witnessed and notarized. The Clerk's office will not accept the form if the Grantor's signature is not notarized. The Grantor is the seller; the person who currently owns the property.

Take the notarized Clerk of the Court representing the city or county where the property is located. If you live in a place other than where the property is located, you will have to travel to the Clerk of the Court in the vicinity of the property.

The Clerk's office will tell you what is due upon filing; this amount will include actual filing fees as well as transfer taxes, if you are required to pay them.

If you are charging for the property, you will have to file transfer tax forms along with the filing of your Quit Claim in Georgia. The Clerk of the Court will inform you if you need to pay transfer tax and if so, what amount you need to pay.