How to Get a UK Passport Renewed in the US

By Foziya Khan
You, a UK passport, the United States
uk passport and currency image by Christopher Nolan from

If you're a British citizen living in the U.S. or staying there for an extended period of time, you may need to renew your passport. Passport services for British citizens are now located in Washington D.C. All passport applications are now required to be made through the North America Passport Production Centre.

Print and complete a passport application form. Complete Form C1 if you are over 16 years old and form C2 if your under 16. Make sure you initial each completed page.

Include two identical recent passport sized photographs. The photographs must follow the specifications outlined by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Send your fee with the application. The cost of renewing your passport, inclusive of postage, as of 2008 is:

$214 for an adult 32-page passport

$259 for an adult 48-page passport

$137 for a child's passport.

Fees are subject to change at any time; for the latest information visit the UK on the USA website (see Resources).

Payment can be made by Visa/Mastercard, as well as by money orders and certified bankers or cashiers checks, to the British Embassy Government Account. Personal and certified personal checks are not accepted.

Send your completed application from, two passport-sized photographs, postage fee and existing UK passport to the following address:

North America Passport Production Centre, British Embassy, 19 Observatory Circle, NW, Washington DC, 20008

Call 900-285-7277 (when calling from within the US).

All passport related inquires for the British Embassy are handled by Abtran. The lines are open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

About the Author

Based in New York, Foziya Khan has been writing health and fitness articles for more than six years. She is a nutrition counselor by trade, specializing in weight management. Khan holds a Bachelor of Science in biochemistry and a Master of Science degree in nutrition and food management from the University of Huddersfield.