How to Write a Release to Allow Someone Else to Authorize Medical Care for Your Child

By eHow Legal Editor

It may be a good idea to give authorization to a regular caregiver to make medical decisions for your child in your absence. That way any necessary treatment won't have to be delayed.

Understand that no one has the right to make health care decisions for a child other than a parent or legal guardian.

Know that, as a parent, you may give permission to another adult to make health care decisions for your child.

Realize that if you are going away and your child is going to be staying with a family member or friend, it might be a good idea to authorize that person to make decisions in your absence so that your child will not have to wait for you to arrive to receive treatment. This is also a good idea if a family member or friend regularly baby-sits for you. You probably should not give this power to a day care or preschool.

Discuss this form with the caregiver and explain what types of procedures you would be opposed to and what types of treatment you would agree to.

Type up a form and state that you, the parent of X (fill in your child's name and date of birth) are granting your authorization to this person (list his or her name and address and phone number) to make health care decisions for the child in your absence.

Consider listing a date the permission will expire on, for example, the day you will return from your trip.

Sign the form before a notary.

Give the form to the person who will be caring for your child, or keep it in the diaper bag so that it is always with your child.